It Takes Courage to Work as a Journalist

When I took up the challenge, I was prepared for the dire consequence. The pain of being a journalist in Uganda haunted me since I actively joined the journalism network in East Africa. Strict house rules embraced me and I agree I loved them. That was the Felix Kilonzo you knew. Felix was so versatile and spoke his mind just to articulate the point in the many possible ways.
I rewind you back to 2007, back in Machakos School when I led the Broadcast Journalism Club under the patronage of Ms Wavinya Kakui. In 2008, I led several people into the online blogging and in 2010, where I joined hands with fellow comrades to champion for the rejection of the new constitution.
I remember the likes of Larry Madowo were so new in the industry and gave me maiden advice in the field of journalism. I didn’t have a future. I hanged in the balance and  envied the few journalists in the field and therefore I ended up enrolling for the same course in Mount Kenya University. I remember the likes of Gilbert Munyaka, former Sky News camera man. He gave me an advice that I should forever remain focused to the goal. He was correct.

I remember Larry Madowo’s Advice that if I jetted in to the humble fields of journalism because of money I, then, I better try elsewhere. Larry too was correct. We are famous. Famous that your life is never yours, its for the public. But we are guided by the zeal to let you know first before others spread propaganda.
Several Human rights organisation were up in arms against me for my straight forward criticism and I remember a minority group had planned to terminate my education on the grounds that I did not respect them in one way or another.
I was forced to delete my official facebook fan page which had 1200 likes simply because I was coming too fast. Today I am yet to pick up from the ruins that came about after the 2010 constitution that I campaigned and even voted against.
In January to May this year, I worked in the field I love the most, Politics and analysis. I got an intern that I strictly set it at one and half months due to the costs that come with the job. I was hired by the start of March and worked for two months hence being forced by circumstances that am held by the employment ethics not to disclose.
Felix Kilonzo takes a break from active journalistic roles for sometimes and would resume in full force at the start of 2014.  However, to my Ugandan fans, stay turned to my unbiased analysis of African Democracy on my official facebook fan page or my blog  where we shall share more encouraging stories to continue fight for free space for majority democracy and real respect for fundamental human rights that have been for a long time been breached by egocentric partisan ideology and criminalism.
Remember my motto still remains to be See. Think. Act and therefore as among the very rare generation of journalists, advocacy for clear change still remains to be my major and I assure you it takes two to tangle.
Am retreating to my personal business as I prepare either to venture into local media industry or join Politics.
God Bless you. God Bless Uganda. God Bless East Africa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why We Need Advocacy Journalism in Africa

Parties have hard options as parties in CORD have 1 day to go

Uhuru Kenyatta Cant Implement Land Reforms