Nothing to celebrate on Kenya at 50

What is democracy on the perspective of Africa? What is ‘the rule of law’ when it pertains the administration of justice in the continent? Who do we blame for the negative ethnicity that has divided countries into farther tribal cocoons?

Africa has for ages been termed as continent of dark minds, tyrannical regimes, full of impunity and so divided. Africa has on a lighter note been termed as cradle of mankind. We as African continent have from time to time became slaves of few leaders who have always treated their countries as private entity that requires only them to rule till death do them apart.

When I look at the Kenyan I government, I see a union of two major tribes that want to rule over the rest and fill all the government position with their tribal lieutenants. When I see this I ask, is the presidency the only way for the tribal chiefs to get recognised by those in power? It’s only in Africa where one’s name is an added advantage in the job market.

Therefore, is it fair for tribal chiefs to claim that we are one when everyone understands the phrase ‘it’s our time to eat’?

In my 2010 ‘the long run of Burundian Democracy’; and its subsequent continuation ‘the fragility of the 2005 Peace’ it was clear that peace comes with equality. I dealt with the unseen, yet important factor of peace in Burundi that took too long to the seen.  In other words, peace and administration of justice comes hand in hand.

The situation highlighted in my first ever article is slowly being introduced in Kenya through the back door where the focus is now on the civil service as opposed to the ministerial flags. Of great importance is when certain companies choose to hire and give contracts to members of their own community. Then one begs to ask the mot obvious question, is it right to do so? Was it necessary to act in such a manner?

Sometimes I follow up some discussions via social media sites about the leadership and integrity issues that have by far divided countries into regions and regions to clans and clans wage war with those opposing. The most shocking thing is it’s only in Africa where we don’t value those we educated up to university level but instead we glorify the unschooled old people in the name of elders. I do not show some disrespect to the said elders but I do not see their relevance in the today’s politics. Why should I as a leader consult an old unschooled old man who never made it to be an elected leader for policies in leadership?

If it were not for the elders, William Ruto would be a free man in a free country. He was crowned the king of the Kalenjin and therefore the Rome statute hand picked him as the leader who bore the greatest responsibility in the Kenyan cases in the ICC.

I do not pity William Ruto for you and I agree that we failed to monitor our behaviours and practices when we had the time to do so. The Kenyan cases at the ICC are equally important to pump some sense to those elders who are still in the pre-colonial mentality where a community would raid another and take everything they want and walk scot-free.  Its time we accept impunity has been pushed by the few clones of so called elders who have held the stereotypes that this community is the enemy of the next community.

When I see Kenya, I see the future that is mature and presidency which is not a one community affair. I want stress that we are yet to see that future, the future that you and I agree its real. I want to see Kenya where the colour of my skin, my religion, my tribe, my age and more importantly my social status is irrelevant in the provision of services and opportunities.

From El wak triangle to Kipini, from Malaba to Mandera, East to West and North to South, we are equal before the law and therefore whether one comes from the ruling tribe, religion or region should be an irrelevant issue before the law.

We have heard leaders kill in the name of God, and wonder is God a happy when we kill? We have heard and seen those in power appoint members of their own circle and wonder when is this change coming? Is change literally about firing some ‘opponents’ and replacing them with tribal clones? I am perplexed when I look at Kenya 50 years on.

Kenya has been moving from the so called unity, peace and love to Disunited full of animosity and hate nation. I remember back in college, I deferred with my lecturer who comes from one of the tribe that is in power. He spoke to me from his heart about how he hates the Luos and to be in particular the presidential candidate. I then asked him, “are you voting in a leader or are you voting for a tribe?”

The senior journalist told me, “I vote for my own because that is the only right thing to do now”. So one begs a question why are we now yapping ‘We are one’ when acts of prejudice are evident among the elites who act as unschooled people? How are we going to have that important change when our seniors transfer the same hatred that has carried on since 1967 when hell broke loose in KANU after Kenyatta parted ways with Oginga Odinga? Who is to blame after all this confusion that has made certain Kenyans are advantaged before the law.

I agree I am hard stand man, but I find it hard to digest when in see nepotism and tribalism prevail in government office. It’s sad when I remember I was forced to terminate my industrial attachment in 2012 July prematurely because of being too liberal to views of tribalism. My supervisor favoured his tribe mate when giving assignments. I do remember I by chance landed on a big story that was previously assigned to his favourite. Little did I know that would have me asked the most embarrassing question of ‘when is your last day as an intern here?’

As a journalist objectivity is not an option. I did what I was required by my profession to do at the time but it landed me in problems. Impunity was there fighting back. Thank God my log book was already full and the details for now are not important.

To sum up, we have to install the culture of ensuring unity with justice that you and I agree is the only way to fight the negative ethnicity that has colonised Kenya for 50 years. Let’s have a reason to celebrate 50years of self rule and independence.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why We Need Advocacy Journalism in Africa

Parties have hard options as parties in CORD have 1 day to go

Uhuru Kenyatta Cant Implement Land Reforms